When Michael Ahern left his little seaside village of Whitegate, he travelled to the other side of the world to settle in another little seaside village, called Emu Park. Even though “the park” is now home to growing housing estates, it has retained much of its sleepy coastal charm. Ahern Street, Oak Street and Golding Street record where Michael and his extended family settled in, even if their houses are no longer there.
Emu Park History
Emu Park was attracting visitors to its beautiful beaches in the 1860s. It was gazetted as the township ‘Hewittville’ on the 9th of January, 1869.